Saturday, June 11, 2005

MY BOOK IS HERE!! MY BOOK IS HERE!!

I WAS AT work when my daughter arrived with a next-day package. It was from my publisher so before I even opened it, I knew it was my book(!) – actually two copies. I kind of screamed out (not too loud since I was in class): “My book!” The whole class burst out in applause. I think I almost cried.

I QUICKLY DEDICATED the first copy to . . ."the most important person in my life, my Rock, my reason for living, my everything. Thank You, God, for Your many blessings and for my gift. I will do my best to always honor You. In Jesus’s name, Amen.” This copy will be framed in a special display frame.

THE SECOND COPY went to my daughter because, well, she is my daughter. My sister was kind of disappointed; she actually had a minor attitude while teaching her Math class (and it wasn’t just because half of the other fifth-grade class--which gets on her bad side--had switched over). After the class, I asked her if she was upset and initially she said no, but then she admitted that she was, a little. But after I talked to her, I think she understood why I had to give my daughter the second copy. My sister then reminded me that it was she who recommended that I revise my secular novel into a Christian novel. I told her I would acknowledge that fact when I dedicated the THIRD copy to her. The FOURTH copy will go to my little sister because she has this belief that she has always felt left out because my middle sister and I are so close (in age & in relationship). No matter how many times I tell her I love her the same, she will believe what she wants to believe (sigh). You can only please so many people.

THE FIFTH COPY will go to my mother. At first, I thought I should have given her the first copy but then my sister reminded me that she hasn’t given me the information I have requested for years (the story of my father). So though I love her most of all, she is #5 on the distribution list – UPP!(it’s a sister thing, you wouldn’t understand).

ALL DAY LONG, the students were asking questions: Could they see (i.e. touch) the book? (You can touch with your eyes.) Where is the book available? (Border’s) What’s that? (Oh, no you don’t know what Border’s is.) Could they buy the book? (No, it’s for adults.) Could they read the book? (No, it’s for adults.) Maybe I should have written a kids’ book. One of my dreams is to write my own House on Mango Street/Catcher in the Rye/When I was Puerto Rican/A Tree Grows in Brooklyn which will stand the test of time. One day, I will.


Peace, Love & Soul
Paz, Amor, y Alma

Xenia

4 Comments:

At June 21, 2005 12:54 PM, Blogger Stormy Steele said...

Wow! I'm so proud of you! Again congratulations Xenia! Hey, when Borders puts all of those chairs out for you, do not be nervous. LOL! You'll see what I mean.

Keep on writing and happy touring! You're going to be a hotel connoisseur now. :)

 
At June 21, 2005 5:34 PM, Blogger Maria Sanchez said...

Congratulations! Amazon just sent me a note saying my copy had shipped. Wuu huu! Check out artbylatinaartists.com I added you a link to your book in the latina authors page. Hope that's okay.

 
At June 22, 2005 3:47 PM, Blogger BEGT said...

Great! Congrats :)
That's a must-read for this summer :)

 
At July 05, 2005 12:25 PM, Blogger LaEquis said...

TO MARIA S. (For some reason, I can't access your blogger) >>Congratulations! Amazon just sent me a note saying my copy had shipped. Wuu huu! Check out artbylatinaartists.com I added you a link to your book in the latina authors page. Hope that's okay.

Of course it's OK! THANKS! Gracias!I am honored that you have included me. I hope you enjoy the book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home