Tuesday, October 11, 2005

BACK TO THE SALT MINES, BACK TO THE GRINDSTONE, BACK TO THE . . . (YOU GET THE GIST)


[My newest cousin, Alfred William III (named after his father & grandfather) whose photo I couldn't download a couple of months ago]

WELL, I STARTED my new job today. I’m so-o-o excited. Really . . . I . . . am.

I AM THE new program coordinator for home care services at a community organization in Humboldt Park, which is where I grew up, at least from ages 5-9. I have never lived more than 15 minutes away from my old hood but after working half my life in the Loop (downtown) and in the Gold Coast (north of downtown), working near my home is going to be a whole new experience.

I’M EXCITED ABOUT working again after being unemployed for three-and-a-half months, though with all the book promoting this summer, I feel like I never stopped working.

I’M EXCITED ABOUT the potential to utilize my writing in this job, including a annual newsletter for clients; however, since most of the clients are Latino, does that mean I have to write in Spanish?? If so, I’ll need some SSL (Spanish as a Second Language) classes, because I think, dream, read & write in English.

I’M EXCITED ABOUT getting a regular paycheck again, and I’m not ashamed to say that. If I didn’t have a mortgage, car note, and other “unnecessary” bills, I wouldn’t care about making money, but alas, it’s a sad fact, life is about working to pay bills, money makes the world go ‘round, blah, blah, blah.

WHAT I’M NOT excited about . . .

GETTING UP IN the early a.m. (one of my weaknesses, but once I’ve had my coffee, I usually good to go), office politics/gossip, not knowing what I’m doing, screwing up, probationary period, etc.


MY NEW BOSS seems like a nice guy, young, early 30’s, and everybody seems to get along, but then . . . it’s only the first day.

1 Comments:

At October 16, 2005 9:23 PM, Blogger AALBC.com said...

Hi Xenia, I'm, Troy Johnson, founder of AALBC.com (The African American Literature Book Club). I discovered your Blog through Cydney Rax's website http://www.book-remarks.com/ This is defintely a good thing that she has done helping to promote you and your blog through her web site.

Good luck with your new job and keep promoting your book. Visit my Blog http://aalbc.com/blog and web site when you have the opportunity.

peace

 

Post a Comment

<< Home