Tuesday, May 23, 2006

AND THE GOOD NEWS (BLESSINGS) JUST KEEP COMING...

I decided not to send the manuscript for ITPIHOY directly to the NY publisher who was actively seeking Latin writers. Instead I made the decision to give the agent-route another chance and submitted a query on-line to the Levine-Greenberg Literary Agency. That was May 13.

On May 22, I got an e-mail reply from an agent stating that she liked the tone, language and structure of the story (first 40 pages) and would like to see the rest. This agent is also a novelist with two books under her belt, one of which I read when it was first published. She also represents a debut author whom they are calling the “new Sandra Cisneros” (a great honor in my book). Some people say I shouldn’t post my “good news” yet, that it’s too soon and I may be jinxing myself. Well, I don’t believe in jinxes, I believe in God (sorry if that makes some of you uncomfortable). I have to trust that He has my back, and my manuscript’s back.

Things are moving along with my “third” book, Boricua Morena: Memoirs of a Humboldt Park Girl, I’ve already received my ISBN and Library of Congress control number. I just have to get a UPC code (which is so expensive), edit the manuscript one last time (because I’m not going to delay it any further by sending it to an editor), and send a copy of it to the Copyright Office. Then it’s off to the printer, Morris Publishing, which has been in business for years. Turnaround time is 30-40 days so I should have copies of the book in time for the 2006 El Barrio Art Fest.

On a sadder note, school has started again. While I enjoy the camaraderie of my fellow Latino cohort members, I couldn’t help thinking, “why, oh why did I sign up for this program?” I could’ve devoted this time to writing. I’m going to try to manage my time a little better this semester, especially since we have two holidays which fall on Mondays (my school nite). I can’t promise anything, but I’m going to try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home